4CDs - ADD - 269min. - DECCA 1986/87
Martin Schomberg, Michel Senechal, Adolf Dallapozza, Gerd Nienstedt, Werner Klumlikboldt, Julia Hamari, Martin Egel, Adalbert Kraus, Kurt Rydl, Norman Bailey, Bernd Weikl, Kurt Moll, Hannelore Bode, Wolfgang Appel, Rudolf Hartmann, Helmut Berger-Tuna, Rene Kollo
Recorded at Sophiensaal, Vienna, October 1975
Bailey is a huge improvement over Theo Adam as Sachs for Karajan. The orchestral detail is first rate. I prefer this to Kubelik's, Karajan's and Sawallisch. The cast are all strong. Kollo as Walther is the same as in the Karajan set recorded five years earlier. It is a pity Solti didn't have a Vicker's or even Domingo (even with his latin pronunciation). Walther would be better with more heft in the voice. However, Kollo is reliable and has a youthful tone. I prefer him to Konya in Kubelik's set, whom everyone seems to rave over. I can hear no noticeable deterioration from Kollo's Karajan recording in 71. Even Solti's Beckmesser is an improvement over Karajan's. I think this has to be one of the best studio Meistersingers available. It has no serious weaknesses at any rate. --Amazon customer
Listen to the tracks at Amazon re-release