Leoncavallo - I Pagliacci - Corelli, Gobbi - 1954DVD9 - NTSC - 4:3 - All Regions - b&w - Dolby Digital 1.0 & 5.1, DTS 5.1 - 103min. -
Subtitles: English, French, Italian, Spanish
Hardy Cl. 2004
Actors: Franco Corelli, Tito Gobbi, Mafalda Micheluzzi, Alfredo Simonetto
This production of "I Pagliacci" is the best I have seen thus far.
Here we get several treats all on one disc.
For one, we get to see the immortal Franco Corelli at the very beginning of his legendary career.
At just over 30 years old, the late Maestro already displayed all the attributes that made him one of the greatest tenors of all time.
His voice huge and powerful and his appearance stenorian in all aspects, Maestro Correlli presents what may well be the definitive portrayal of the character Canio.
Then there is the production itself. Considering that this film was made in the early 50's, the quality of both sound and picture is good and the balck and white really adds a whole other dimension to the sad and tragic plot of this Opera. --Amazon customer