Elina Garanča - Bel Canto - Arias from Bellini · Donizetti · RossiniCD - DDD - 64'36
Deutsche Grammophon 000289 477 7460 0, released 2009
With Elina Garanča, Ildebrando d'Arcangelo, Filarmonica del Teatro Comunale di Bologna & Roberto Abbado
Elina Garanča follows her exceptional debut splash, Aria Cantilena, with bel canto solos and ensembles featuring guest luminaries like Ildebrando d'Arcangelo. Flawless coloratura and a 'one-in-a-million' mezzo (The Independent) make this exciting young artist ideal for this repertoire. Balancing familiar numbers and ensembles with little known treasures by Bellini, Donizetti and Rossini, Elina rides bel canto's vocal acrobatics and spun out melodies through an emotional spectrum to unforgettable effect Universal.
"Ms. Garanča has all the goods: musicality, technique, voice, confidence, smarts, dramatic range - and movie-star looks. She practically defines `can't miss'. And in her Met debut on Saturday night, she did not miss . . ." - New York Sun
Beautiful singing indeed from the Latvian mezzo in mainly rare, operatic extracts in which the purity and breadth of her tone are superbly displayed. The aria "Al mio core" from Donizetti's "L'Assedio di Calais" is an example of her ability to float phrases without any suggestion of effort. Her dramatic power is heard in Elisabetta's aria "Ah! Quando allara scorgemi" from "Maria Stuarda", and in an extract from "Tancredi". Accompaniments are conducted by Roberto Abbado with style and temperament. Record Review / Michael Kennedy, The Daily Telegraph (London) / 29 March 2009
1. Lucrezia Borgia / Act 2 - Il Segreto Per Esser Felici
2. L'assedio Di Calais / Act 1 - Al Mio Oore
3. Roberto Devereux / Act 1 - All'afflitto È Dolce Il Pianto (Sara)
4. Dom Sébastien, Roi De Portugal / Act 2 - Que Faire - Sol Adoré De La Patrie
5. Adelson E Salvini / Act 1 - Dopo L'oscuro Nembo
6. Maria Stuarda / Act 1 - Si, Vuol Di Francia Il Rege (Elisabetta)
7. Maria Stuarda / Act 1 - Ah! Quando All'ara Scorgemi
8. Maria Stuarda / Act 1 - In Tal Giorno Di Contento
9. Maria Stuarda / Act 1 - Ah! Dal Ciel Discenda Un Raggio
10. Tancredi / Act 1 - Andante
11. Tancredi / Act 1 - O Patria! Dolce, E Ingrata Patria
12. Tancredi / Act 1 - Di Tanti Palpiti
13. Maometto II / Act 2 - Terzetto: "In Questi Estremi Istanti" (Calbo, Anna, Erisso)
14. I Capuleti E I Montecchi / Act 1 - Lieto Del Dolce Incarco
15. I Capuleti E I Montecchi / Act 1 - Ascolta, Se Romeo T'uccise
16. I Capuleti E I Montecchi / Act 1 - Riedi Al Campo
17. I Capuleti E I Montecchi / Act 1 - La Tremenda Ultrice Spada
18. L'assedio Di Calais / Act 2 - Lo L'udia Chiarmarmi A Nome
19. L'assedio Di Calais / Act 2 - Suon Tremendo!
20. L'assedio Di Calais / Act 2 - La Speme Un Dolce Palpito
Visit the Album Website
Listen to the tracks at Amazon